The C letter word

Connections.

* I'll never understand why I met Judy at that bus stop in Oslo last summer. How or why our bus broke down giving us that moment to step outside only for us to look at each other and do that eye roll. How this someone who was once a complete stranger to me ended up being a person I've shared many a great, deep, thoughtful conversations with about life, society, love, politics, family, home, belonging, travelling and what we want out of life. 

* I'll never quite know how Eli came back into my life. When I first met her nearly a decade ago, I instantly knew I liked her, but life took over and we both went our separate ways, only for us to get back in touch three years ago to now being the way we are. She reminds me to be crazy. She never lets me forget who I should be - 'the psuedo hippie chic who makes her own skincare products who one day will have her own skincare line at Liberty', she says. Or 'that girl who brews herbal tea and invites people round her house hosting amazing dinner parties in a home filled with treasures from around the world.' When I get caught up in the mundanity of my daily routine, she reminds me of the fantasy of who I should be. 

* I don't understand how there is a human being thousands of miles away from me who just gets me. She is one of my besties, I've known her for decades, we both share the same tragic love life and she always keeps me in check. I've laughed with her, cried with her, and we keep each other's darkest secrets. She'll never understands that there is a hippie side to me like Eli does, but she gets me nonetheless. 

And that's the beauty and mystery of connections. You just don't understand why, how, when people come into your life. They just do, more often than not, it is almost unexpected. And that's the magic of it all.

I felt the need to mention real life friendships rather than romantic connections because somehow, I feel as human beings, we accept when friendships come and go, and when they materialise into something beautiful, but when it comes to romantic relationships, I feel that we hold on to them for longer than we should and I am still trying to understand why... 

... have you figured it out?






Comments