Dear Ex

You were such a big part of my growing up that is hard for me to not remember you and how you shaped me. 

When I met you, I was a girl... hey, I managed to burn pre-made pizza at university and that's some skill to not be able to read the instructions for the oven.

When we broke up, you said, I was leaving a woman who is going to make a man very, very happy. 


There is so much you taught me I should expect in a man. And now that I am on the quest to find this mystery man you said I was going to make very, very happy, I am going to remind myself to never settle for less. 

Readers, I hope, like myself, this list will also be a reminder of what a real man does and how you shouldn't settle for anything less than...

* You protected me. You always stood on the right hand side of the road when we crossed. I remember the one time when I told you the guys at the local takeaway were being funny with me, you got dressed and went down to pick a fight with them. 

* You welcomed me into your life and world. You introduced me to your friends and family. Your mum adored me, she still does. She treated me like her very own daughter. And that's what a decent man who wants you to be a part of his life does. 

* You took care of the future. Your ambition was to be a good father. You saved for the home we built and you counted your pennies. I admired that about you.  

* You loved me. You used to wake up first thing to see me leave the house when I left for work. You hugged me every single night that we slept together in bed for seven years. That's a helluva lot of nights of hugging! 

* You never made me doubt what you were saying wasn't true. 

* You made me laugh. We shared the most beautiful, honest, friendship. 

And these are things I'll look for. I understand that it won't be a guarantee in the future with every man. But I know, expecting these things of someone isn't unrealistic. 

P.S. For all your perfections, you had your flaws too. We both did. But you got the foundations right for sure. 





Comments