The American

I was at my favourite bar in Soho with my favourite girl. It was the evening I had that first date with R from 'The Balham Story'. I was doing what I enjoy doing the most - dancing! I was feeling really great after the date with R and was all around positive. Yes, there was the usual attention from the boys, but me and my girl were having such a good time that we couldn't care less. 

I queued up at the bar of this expensive, pretentious city boy cocktail hangout and there stood next to me was The American. I didn't notice very much of him other than the fact he had dark hair and a dark beard, both weaknesses of mine. 

He said the usual 'Hello' and was all around civilised. His accent was a huge clue about where he was from and I was visiting New York in a months time so we struck up a conversation about the States. As it turns out, The American was from New York. He ended the chat with, "Hey, I can text you a few places you could try whilst in NY. Can I grab your number?" Safe. Once again, I thought, why the hell not. 

We exchanged numbers, and pretty much didn't speak for the rest of the evening. 

And then, the beauty of all modern love stories happened - I never heard from him. 

A year later, I am on Facebook and I've discovered the 'People You May Know' feature and I noticed a guy who I think is kinda cute, except I have no clue how I may know this person, mainly because we had no friends in common and he didn't work in my industry. But the boy is cute. So messaging him to figure out this weird connection only seemed right. Err... right? Anyway, I did just that and soon find out cute boy is actually pretty funny. Hmm... dark hair, beard and he's pretty funny, o and he's single. 

We did get to the bottom of how we knew each other. Cute boy was The American from the bar. The reason he came up on my 'People You May Know' bit was because he had my number saved. I know, I know, totally cute, and Hollywood blockbuster material! 

The reason he never got in touch was as he joked 'The evenings confidence meets the mornings insecurities' 

Me and The American went out on three dates and on each one of those dates, he made me laugh. I'd probably go as far as saying he was actually the funniest guy I've met till date. 

He was respectful of me on all dates. Didn't pull any moves, and didn't try to kiss me, even on the third date. I put it down to him being a gent which he truly was. 

Sadly, I am a dick and The American was dismissed because he was a total geek, had no sense of dressing and was the kind of guy who learnt coding for fun at the weekend (which when I really think about it, is kinda cool) 

If this was indeed an American flick, The Hitch would have come to his rescue and taught him how to pull all the stops to win a girl over. I kinda wish The Hitch did rescue him. 

I turned down his fourth date offer and suggested we stay friends because I do believe he was one of the nicest guys I met. He was prompt with his messages, he made me laugh, he cared about his family, he was hardworking and such a geek it was almost adorable. I joked with my friends that if I ever went out with him, I'd be like Penny from The Big Bang Theory. 

Sadly, dismissing a nice guy because he didn't have game, or charm is a regret of mine. I wish I was mature enough at that point to take a chance on The American. But you meet people in the most unexpected ways and they teach you the most unexpected things. 





Comments