The Balham Story...

I went on two really great dates with this guy, let's call him R.

He did all the right things. For the first date, he picked a great cocktail bar in Mayfair. I wasn't expecting it to be anything, and I even made plans to meet up with a girlfriend after to go dancing in Soho. I was THAT confident in how well this was going to go from the onset. But R really surprised me. He was extremely confident, extremely charming, and extremely suited. I was attracted to him simply because of how well he carried himself. I am a sucker for confident men.

For our second date, he'd made reservations at a super 'trendy' restaurant in Soho. Copious amounts of alcohol was consumed on that second date and I kissed R at the tube station at Oxford Circus. I wasn't 100 per cent sure about him but turns out, he was a good kisser.

When the third date arrived, I cancelled on him, on the morning of the dinner date. He wasn't happy, understandably.

I explain later, and this is the truth, I just wasn't ready to date. He was lovely, and he really fancied me and I knew he'd be the guy who would go above and beyond to please me but at that point in my life, I wasn't ready and maybe, he wasn't what I had in mind. It could have been a myriad of reasons.

We both were adult about it and said our goodbyes.

A few months later, he spotted me on the dating app I was using and messaged me to see if I'd be up for a friendly drink. There I was thinking, what a mature man, he realises that we're not a great match, and he's willing to give this a shot at friendship.

Turns out that friendly drink in Balham was just an opportunity for him to make me feel really s*&^ about myself. He started off the evening by saying, "I was going to cancel on you but thought you'd think it was revenge" wowza! He then went on to make an indirect reference to my boobs. And after one drink and him realising he ain't getting any, he said he had to leave. He didn't so much as drop me to the station as a courtesy. We ended the night by him saying, "I'll add you on Facebook." err... not if I don't add you sir. And I never accepted his request.

So, there I was at Balham station getting to Clapham Junction on a Friday night at 8 pm feeling pretty bad about the entire evening. I mean, did this guy actually suggest drinks just to "humiliate me". It wasn't the best of the evenings. On the tube, I noticed an average looking Joe looking at me. As you do, I didn't make very much of it. Average Joe then asked me how my evening was. Average Joe was told it was pretty average. Actually, Average Joe was told it was pretty rubbish because I had a bad "date". So, Average Joe offered to buy me a drink.

And in that moment, I decided to do what swipeIRL would do. I agreed to a drink with Average Joe. Yes, Average Joe, a stranger essentially who I just met on the train who had the courage to ask a girl out for a drink. Fuck it, my crazy self told myself - what is the worse that could happen?

(Well, a lot can happen. And hence why, I made sure I was at the bar when Av Joe was getting the drinks and I made sure to get a bottled drink that was opened in front of me. Yes, if you do 'not norm' things, at least, be a bit street smart about it)

I wasn't attracted to Av Joe. He wasn't my type. We had nothing in common. But Av Joe made my evening.

He was a fruit and vegetable vendor in Sutton who didn't travel very much. I told him I loved travelling and the one drink only evening ended with him saying "you've really inspired me to travel. I am going to make sure I do more of that. Good luck in life"

The beauty of that story is that I met R on a dating app and on paper, he was my type. And although, there was no romance with Average Joe, he was the one who ended up putting a smile on my face - all because I took a chance on someone.

















Comments