What it feels like for a girl

Like most women, I was so mad when I read The New York Times article about Harvey Weinstein, and that audio recording that followed where he's alleged to have groped a model's breast during their interaction. It made me sick to my stomach.

Actually, it made me sad to be a woman.

It made me feel as though men see women as just that, objects for self gratification. Now, I am sure that's not the case with all men but it certainly seems to be the case in many experiences.

It got me thinking about dating and how men of the world today behave and treat women.

I mean, dickpics? Really, why do these men think it's perfectly rational to expose their genitalia to a woman they barely know/are getting to know? What gives them the power/entitlement to be able to do that? It is because they are men? Because they were not raised to be embarrassed to expose their bodies, like women are? That it would make no difference to their pride? 

Why are so many women increasingly talking about men who shag them and discard them as if they are commodities/objects? I mean, what exactly gives them that form of entitlement? Because they are male? Because a guy sleeping with multiple women is seen as a player, where as a woman sleeping with a guy on a first date/second date/too soon, is seen as a slut?

So it makes me sad that society doesn't treat men and women equally. Not just men, but society on a larger, bigger scale; whether it is gender pay gap in Hollywood and across all industries, lack of diversity in technology, the media bombardment of ads telling women to be a certain shape and size and figure, placement of role models who rake in money by selling their sexuality and teaching young impressionable girls to use their sexuality to do exactly that. There is a real problem in society today. 

It's like we've forgotten to teach both men and women that feminism wasn't about giving the female form the ability to be bold and express themselves sexually. Feminism stemmed from the mistreatment of women by society. 

And although, it may seem like we've come a long way in terms of what we as a female form and collective are able to achieve, I feel as though we still have a long way to go towards getting that respect from the opposite sex. Any ideas of how we put an end to this? 

Comments